As you are planning event registration, please consider the following recommendations. Make sure to adjust your Planner settings, send instructions to your guests, and train your volunteers before event day.
Please click the links below to jump to a specific section:
Set up SmartPay registration software
Pre-event instructions for guests
How to set up in Planner
Name tags and alpha lines
Live auction paddles
SET UP SMARTPAY REGISTRATION SOFTWARE
Whether you're running your own DIY event or will have OneCause staff and equipment onsite, you should familiarize yourself and your volunteers with the SmartPay registration software. If you aren't sure where to start, Setup: SmartPay Anywhere.
PRE-EVENT INSTRUCTIONS FOR GUESTS
Send out registration instructions to your guests via email and/or social media several days prior to the event. Key points to include:
- Remind guests to bring their charged smartphone for bidding
- Include a link to your friendly URL
- Encourage guests to pre-register and add a credit card
Example Text: We're so excited you can join us on <event date>! We'll be using OneCause for a mobile auction this year, so please remember to charge your smartphone and bring it with you! To save time when you arrive at the event, visit <friendly URL> now and sign in to get registered and add a credit card for speedy registration and checkout. Be sure to provide your mobile phone # in order to receive a one-click login link for easy access to the auction, along with text outbid alerts! Thanks again for supporting <organization> in our mission to <cause>.
ONSITE RECOMMENDATIONS & BEST PRACTICES
- If you have OneCause Onsite Staff, your volunteers will be trained 1 hour before registration.
- We recommend 1-2 SmartPay terminal/registration line for every 100 guests, depending upon how intensive your registration process is. For example, if you need to hand things out at Registration you may want to order additional payment terminals.
- Don't train guests on how to use OneCause at registration. Instead, encourage them to ask roaming volunteers if they need assistance. We recommend having one roaming volunteer per 200 guests.
- Using SmartPay Anywhere, OneCause suggests completing four pieces of information for a speedy registration process:
- First Name & Last Name
- Mobile #
- Checked In Status
- Credit Card
Tip! You may wish to require other information from your guests such as email address. Instead of having a volunteer enter this information, you can require the guest to enter it upon clicking the One-Click-Login. Your guests also have access to update this information from their profile in OneCause.
- Logging guests in:
- If the guest is using his/her smartphone, enter the guest's info and send a one-click login text from SmartPay.
- If there is a problem receiving the one-click login via text, enter the guest's email in SmartPay (if missing) and use the ACTIONS menu on SmartPay to email the guest a one-click login link instead.
- If there is a problem receiving the one-click login via email, have the guest visit the friendly URL in their browser and click SIGN IN using the same email that is entered in SmartPay.
Note: If the guest has previously attended a OneCause(formerly BidPal) event or pre-registered on your site, they can use their email and password to get logged in.
- If a line forms, consider having volunteers help guests in line. You can use SmartPay Anywhere on a tablet or mobile device and volunteers become mobile registration terminals!
- To read about the registration workflow volunteers will use, click here.
HOW TO SET UP IN PLANNER
In Planner, navigate to Setup > Fundraiser > General Settings tab. Set the following fields:
Require (First name, last name, phone number, email address): (Mobile #, address, company, email address): You can require certain fields when guests log into the Giving Center. If they do not have these fields populated, they will be required to enter them before being able to log in.
Require credit card: When checked, you can choose which subset of your guests will be required to enter a credit card information before being successfully logged into the mobile auction. Available options include:
- All Bidders
Tip! You may wish to require credit cards for "All Bidders" for big, public events where guests may bid on items and then leave without paying. Use "Non-Attendees" to require credit cards only for remote bidders (not marked as an Attendee) and those not already on your Attendee List.
NAME TAGS AND ALPHA LINES
Alpha Lines: We discourage alpha lines, as this system tends to cause long lines based on arrival times.
Distributing Materials by Name: If you are handing out name tags or other materials by name, think about logistics. Can you have a separate table directly behind the registration tables? Volunteers should then work in teams of 2, with 1 at the SmartPay terminal and the other standing behind to grab registration materials.
Name tags: Sticky name tags are messy to peel and distribute; hanging or clip-on name tags are easier to manage. Better yet, have guests grab their printed nametags or write their own at a table after registration.
Separate Registrations: We do not suggest more than one area for registration.
LIVE AUCTION PADDLES
To alleviate confusion, be sure the bidder number you assign a guest matches the paddle number they receive for the live auction.
Pre-printed paddles need to be kept in order to prevent volunteers from having to dig and find the right number.
Tip! You can print Live Paddles from the Planner Reports page. Or, if you have pre-printed programs to hand out, leave the back page blank and have volunteers write the guest's bidder number on the back to use as a paddle.